I have a huge amount of respect for anyone in Sales, I’m also (sometimes) a bit jealous. Aside from the fact that their jobs are incredibly difficult there is one luxury they do have that we in marketing do not. Clear goals and defined metrics. In marketing it’s often our responsibility to define what we should care about, what tools and business processes we use, how we should collect data to support its use, and ultimately how we consume it. Suffice to say we have a lot of metrics to be ontop of to do our jobs effectively. Website analytics are just one piece in a much larger web of data.
To get this conversation going, here’s a list of the tools we’re using:
- Yahoo! Pipes
- Twitter Search
- Google Trends
This is by no means a complete round up of all available solutions out there. These are just the tools we use at WebTrends. If you’re looking for a more comprehensive list, try these lists:
- Companies that Measure Social Media, Influence, and Brand
- Web 2.0: Buzz-Monitoring and Tracking
- Social Media Metrics Superlist
- 20 analtyics tools for your blog
- 10 promising free web analytics tools
- 10 terrific Twitter tools
- Social Media Monitoring Tools: 26 Free Online Reputation Tools
- 8 essential free social media monitoring tools
My question to you is: What tools to you use to monitor for marketing?