Our CMO Hope Frank was at Facebook’s first marketing conference, fMC, in NYC today - here’s a brief recap.
Sheryl Sandberg, Chief Operating Officer, Facebook
- “People worry that technology will disconnect us, but studies show that technology strengthens us.”
- This connection is also reshaping relationships with customers.
- “Talking at customers” will no longer work. Customers want to be part of conversation.
Chris Cox, VP of Product, Facebook
- First version of news feed.
- Ads are most interesting, far reaching content in Forbes magazine (from 1941). Super beautiful media, supporting rich discussions. Fashion photos of Burberry, witty conversations by Coke, etc.
- Ads will become the most attractive part of the platform.
- Interaction of anyone on Facebook with a Brand is just as awesome and rich as with their friends and family.
Mike Hoefflinger, Director of Global Business Marketing, Facebook
- Going back to Stories. Evolving from Ads to Stories.
- Ads come from anyone at any time. Stories come from people and things you’re connected to.
- Lots of Ads add up to noise, but lots of Stories are the basis of our relationships.
New for Pages
- Mission control for your business on Facebook, the place for your identity and launch pad for your Stories.
- Later this year, available on smart phone.
- American Express using the new Page (timeline).
- Walmart. Includes their Apps from their Page.
- Redbull. Using new pin-post feature.
- KIA. Using new timeline feature to turn page into virtual showroom.
- Macy’s. People can message you directly on your page to give personal, one-on-one reply.
- New Story type called Offers. Get promotions in front of most important customers. One click.
- Offers are not available self-serve to start, but they’ll be available though in the future as self-serve
- Will Smith’s production company. Sharing videos.
- Two things to remember:
- Everything you do on Facebook starts with your Page. Express your identify and tell your stories.
- News feed may reach 16% of your fans. We can build a product to reach more of your fans.
- Reach Generator
- Make sure your fans see your Stories. Reach 75% of your fans on a monthly basis. Double engagement.
- Beta clients:
- Ben & Jerry’s: Stories are featured on Facebook home page. Reach 98% of fans.
- Dr. Pepper. Reached 83% of fan on monthly basis. Able to increase PTAT by 140%.
- Butterfinger. Reach 90% of fans. Doubled PTAT. Picked up another 6 pts of brand favorability in a couple months of use.
- Two things to remember:
- Understand what content is engaging.
- Use Reach Generator to increase distribution. Benefit from increased engagement.
- Premium on Facebook
- Most impactful way to distribute content on Facebook
- Pages to be mission control.
- Begin to increase distribution. Right hand side of Facebook home page. 3x ROI.
- Eligible for distribution in the News Feed. Desktop and Mobile.
- Fourth optional placement: In the Logout experience as users log out. (Available in April)
- You concentrate on story/content. Facebook concentrates on reach and distribution.
(hat tip to TechCrunch for photo)
For more info on Timeline for Pages, see article on Inside Facebook .
For Mashable’s Facebook Ads round-up, click here.